Which tests are recommended for Sexually Transmitted Dieseases or Sexually Transmitted Infections?

Per Mayo Clinic, please consider the following, 

  • Chlamydia and Gonorrhea - a swab test or urine test is often recommended; however, Vibrant currently does not offer a test that looks for the bacteria that cause these conditions e.g. Chlamydia trachomatis, Chlamydia psittaci, and Chlamydia pneumoniae nor Neisseria gonorrhoeae, respectively.
  • HIV, syphilis and hepatitis - a blood sample or a swab from any genital sores is often utilized to screen for these, however, Vibrant currently doesn't have a test that screens for these infections.
  • Genital herpes - Type 1 (HSV-1) mostly spreads by oral contact and causes infections in or around the mouth (oral herpes or cold sores). It can also cause genital herpes. Most adults are infected with HSV-1. Type 2 (HSV-2) spreads by sexual contact and causes genital herpes. Herpes can be tested for on the Viral Infections Test or the Opportunistic Panel of the Tickborne 2.0 test.
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV) - Regular HPV testing isn't recommended for men. Instead, healthcare providers may choose to test men who have symptoms, such as genital warts. A sample of the wart is removed and sent to a lab. In women, HPV testing involves a Pap test/HPV test, however, Vibrant currently does not offer a test for these.



Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful